Architectural block diagram: laboratory space programming
V-Diagram: laboratory design and quality control
Certification of inward airflow (pressure cascade, BSL3 lab)
Differential pressure trending (BSL3 lab)
Full protection suit in a BSL-3Ag lab
BSL2 and BSL3 hands-on training
Basler & Hofmann Switzerland team suppports you as global biosafety consultants.
For any enquiries you may have, please reach out to Felix Gmünder at:
Services and competences
We find and/or develop solutions for your biosafety laboratory (BSL-2) and high containment laboratory project (BSL-3, BSL-4). We specialise in combined GMP / BSL-2 or BSL-3 facilities, in particular polio vaccine production facilities conforming to WHO GAP IV.
Our services include but are not limited to:
- Conceptual design and planning
- Risk assessments e.g., according to WHO 2020
- Selection of primary containment equipment and laboratory outfitting
- Review and assistance of schematic design
- Technical due diligence, gap analysis, renovation, retrofitting
- Support maintenance incusive maintenance concepts
- Review of tenders, support construction supervision
- Support testing & commissioning, handover
- Certification and validation
- Biosafety training and hands-on training in the laboratory
- Development and setting up and implemenation biorisk managment systems and programs, e.g., WHO 2020 and ISO 35001
- SOP and work instruction development
- Comprehenisve laboratory safety (including OHS, ergonomics)
- Safety audits
Credentials and experience of our lead consultant Felix Gmünder include:
- 20+ years experience in BSL-3 and BSL-4 laboratory design and consulting
- Member of the Swiss Expert Committee for Biosafety
- Singapore Ministry of Health Approved BSL-3 Certifier
- Ph.D., M.Sc. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (Microbiology)
- Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP, ABSA)
- Certified Safety Engineer (OHS)
Reading materials & recommendations
- Understanding ‘Airtight’ and ‘Gastight’ in Relation to the Design and Construction of BSL-3 and BSL-4 Facilities
This Containment Talk takes you on a journey into the wilds of airtight, gastight and similar, poorly defined terms used in every BSL-3 and BSL-4 design, construction, and retrofit project. What does airtight, gastight mean for doors, wall-integrated equipment or penetrations? A simple and practical solution to this problem is presented.
- BSL-2 and BSL-3 Laboratory Air Exchange Rates: A Novel Proposal
This Containment Talk introduces laboratory dilution ventilation systems and the concept of air exchange rate (ACH) in general and presents a proposal to reduce ACH in BSL-2 and BSL-3 microbiological and biomedical laboratories without compromising safety in routine and non-routine operations (spill management) by considering the filtering effect of Class IIA2 recirculating biosafety cabinets. For laboratory concept design, a ventilation design flowchart is also included.
- Autoclave Validation for Waste Decontamination in BSL-2, BSL-3, and BSL-4 Laboratories
Autoclave validation in microbiological and biomedical laboratories at biosafety levels 2, 3, and 4 is a requirement-but there are no current guidelines or regulations on how to validate and monitor the steam decontamination process. The focus of this article is on the decontamination of liquid and solid biohazardous waste for safe disposal into the municipal waste stream (local regulations may apply).
- Biosafety Cabinets - Making the Most of It: Keeping Products Protected and Sterile
This article explains how cross-contamination in the biosafety cabinet can occur and how it can be minimised. The information is relevant to laboratory personnel who are concerned with biosafety, protecting products from contamination, maintaining purity and sterility, or all of the above. Aseptic work conditions are required, e.g., for cell and tissue culture, sterile specimen handling in clinical laboratories and the maintenance of microbiological stock cultures.
- BSL-3 Laboratory Certification - An Introduction and Overview.
BSL-3 certification or verification is an important post-construction element prior to handover to the owner and operator. It is carried out by an independent third party certifier. This article describes the purpose, procedure as well as methods and scope.
- The Swiss Cheese Risk Assessment Model for BSL-2 Laboratories
This article looks at the multiple layers of protection or defence-in-depth concept to protect BSL-2 laboratory workers and the environment from biohazards.
- Risk Management for BSL-3 Laboratories Through Multiple Layers of Protection
This article looks at the multiple layers of protection or defence-in-depth concept to protect BSL-3 laboratory workers and the environment from biohazards.
- In English, en français, in Italiano: Recommendation on Structural and Technical Safety Measures in BSL-3 Laboratories. This recommendation was prepared by Basler & Hofmann.
- Recommendation of the SECB on the Maintenance of BSL-2 and BSL-3 Laboratories.This recommendation was developed by Basler & Hofmann.
- BIBO HEPA-Filters in BSL-3 Labs: Yes or No?
- State-of-the-art safety engineering for BSL-3 labs (pptx, presented to the 3rd International Conference on Biosafety and Laboratory)
- Think outside the biosafety box (pptx, requirements for BSL2 facilities from the safety and biosafety perspectives; presented to the Swiss Biosafety Network (SBNet) annual conference)
- Design a Functional Laboratory
- BSL-3 Laboratory Engineering Consulting: Good Practice BSL-3 Engineering Design
- Certification Standards: BSL-2 and BSL-3 Laboratories
- BSL-3 Certification Requirements: Basler & Hofmann Inspection Scope